Reasons why I didn’t like La La Land #unpopular opinion
- It’s a musical, but I can’t recall a single song from it. In contrast, I saw The Lion King 23 years ago – and can sing every last note of every last song.
- La La Land was a timeless love story (I’m kidding) that featured those memorable characters Gemma and Steve? Emma and Sven? Seriously, the credits had rolled before I remembered what their names were.
- The only way those two were going to have any chemistry was someone buying them a cement square, a test tube and a Bunsen burner. Two of the most boring characters ever – who were so not into each other.
- Tell me the plot of the movie – go on, I dare you. What happened again?
- It feels like they are trying to pay homage to the old movies. And now, for Ryan Gosling’s impression of Gene Kelly…
- BONUS: The one thing I really liked: Emma Stone’s wardrobe. Prediction? Mod Cloth will sell out of yellow sundresses.
If you want to go and see a movie with an element of feel-good whimsy and hopeful technicolour – I’d stick with Amelie or Midnight in Paris. La la land feels a bit like musical-by-numbers, but doesn’t quite add up…